Stanford crosses the finish line first

Time? Speed? Spacing? I have no idea, but I do know that Stanford crossed the line first today and fourth overall. And I know that I could not be more proud of my team or my car. It was a tight race to the finish this morning, with all of the top teams going as close to the speed limit as possible.

There we are, crossing the finish line. The car and the checkered flags are up in the foreground, and you can see the team doing its victory run in the background.

People running towards victory are pretty quick, it seems. They caught up to me and the camera in short order. Guarav is just about to give me a high five, and Nathan is about two seconds behind him with a bear hug.

This is Forest Nelson, our final stage driver. Apparently there were some aggressive, but legal maneuvers on the road to get ourselves into first for the stage. No, there’s no air conditioning. That’s why he’s pretty sweaty. Go give him the hug he deserves.

But what was I doing there? I’ve graduated and am no longer the team lead. Wouldn’t want to steal the current team lead’s thunder. Donuts, of course! It is the duty of every visiting Stanford alum to bring donuts for the team. In return for dropping in unannounced and bringing sugary goodness, I was allowed to drive the car from its post-race scrutineering paddock to the display parking space a hundred yards further down the parking lot.

That’s me! Obviously I had to wear an old Stanford admit weekend shirt, just to date myself as a grouchy old timer.

Speaking of old timers, here’s Michigan’s oldest fanboy. He’s a really sweet guy and has pulled some ridiculous stunts to save their team. Apparently he got aluminum wheels machined and shipped off to the team in under 24 hours after they found stress fractures in their magnesium ones. Sadly, UM has never let him drive, so he’s never driven any solar car. Well, today we fixed that. He drove Apogee around the parking lot and was very pleased to get the chance. I didn’t catch the introduction, so I don’t know his name, but he got my card. Hopefully he’ll ask for the photos when he gets back home.

[Found out that this is Chuck Hutchins, co-founder of MDSI]

Though I’ve been following the race from afar, it feels like I’ve been sitting in chase. I was on the phone through our electronics failures, our squabbles with officials, and our speculation about other teams and standings. It’s been frustrating, fun, exhilarating, and intense. No person can be more proud of their team than I am right now.

Nathan, I also want to specifically call you out for having pulled off miracles. You are more than the best successor I could have asked for. I’m buying you bubble tea tonight.

15 Comments
  • Avatar
    Alan
    Posted at 14:26h, 26 June

Way to go guys! SSCP FTW.

• Avatar
    Tommy
    Posted at 14:35h, 26 June

You guys did an amazing job! Well done!

• Avatar
    Vivian
    Posted at 15:07h, 26 June

Congrats guys!

• Avatar
    Walter
    Posted at 15:11h, 26 June

WOOOT! Go SSCP!

• Avatar
    David
    Posted at 15:27h, 26 June

Is that Nathan sitting on the solar cells…?? o.O

Nevertheless, seriously good job! I’m excited to see Apogee successfully completing a tour of duty!

• Avatar
      Sasha Zbrozek
      Posted at 19:06h, 26 June

Yep, it is. The solar car is a good table.

• Avatar
    Norman
    Posted at 17:33h, 26 June

A well deserved 1st place stage finish! Congratulations to all of you and thanks for blogging throughout!

• Avatar
    Alex Tilson
    Posted at 08:34h, 27 June

Wow. Very exciting. I believe a team first! Very, very cool.

• Avatar
    Name Required
    Posted at 18:49h, 27 June

You guys are awesome! Congratulations!

• Avatar
    Nick M.
    Posted at 20:59h, 27 June

Awesome job, guys!!!

• Avatar
    John Shen
    Posted at 13:55h, 28 June

Horray for Zoidberg Stanford Solar Car!

I think you guys did a better job with the blog updates than ASC, this is a shame on their part

• Avatar
    Jimmy Lee
    Posted at 20:09h, 07 July

Yay!!!! Very cool race and successful outcome!
    Now, the only question I have is where can I get a solar car too?

• Avatar
    Christian
    Posted at 23:44h, 22 July

It was a pleasure to see the Stanford team enter Naperville first. We would like to do another writeup for the Naperville Sun if one of you would please contact me.
    Thank you.

• Avatar
    Thor
    Posted at 10:03h, 02 August

I have now seen one of the coolest things in Naperville. Your Solar car is absolutely incredible. How much fun you must have had designing and working on such a fun project. Thanks for bringing it to Naperville so we could see and experience such a cool event.

• Avatar
    Bryan Hess
    Posted at 23:00h, 13 August

Hey Sasha,
    This is your old high school chemistry teacher. I looked you up and low and behold my prediction about you was right. You are going, or already become, something great.
    B Hess